Friday, June 30, 2017

Kerr County in the News, October through December, 1883

Galveston Daily News, October 1, 1883
The two-year-old son of James Seller, postmaster at Center Point, Kerr county, was drowned in a well.

The Graham Leader, October 6, 1883
Dolf's Rambling Reminiscences
I left San Antonio at 7 a.m. for Kerrville, some 76 miles, in a four-horse stage.  I had for companions the silent man, the broken English-speaking German, a gentleman and lady from Saratoga Springs, N.Y., with a three-year-old boy, and a newly imported Englishman up with the driver. Observing the crowded condition, my first inquiry directed to the New York man was, "how far are you going?" "o Kerrville!".  I thought "Oh Lord" and mentioned my reflections, and when I said "So am I" there was evident a general lack of appreciation for each other's company.  We lost the German 18 miles out, the silent man went to Boerne 30 miles while the balance remained till 12:30 that night when we arrived at Kerrville.  The roads were heavy from recent rains and we having much baggage our progress was slow and monotonous, except when the latter was relieved by a bright snatch of song, a sally of wit or funny story from the intelligent New Yorker or his accomplished wife.  I did not intend to burden this lady with the labor of relieving all the tedium of the trip, for the many stage stands on this route, with the temptation of Anheiser's beer at 25 cents per quart bottle, was too tempting to be resisted and we averaged a bottle to every hour of tedium.  In this maker [sic] I found the Englishman a capital hand.  The little boy was excellent and reflected much credit on his parents, and if I was not afraid my wife would hear of it I'd say I nursed him several miles.  The lady stood the 75 miles ride wonderfully, and had the courage to take a buggy at 12:50 the same night and finish her journey of six miles, but I'll wager my Jersey that she thought she was some one else the next day. I confess, my week's constant riding broke me all up, and I yearned for some of the quietude of the home circle. ...
Here I found another Young [county] countryman, W. F. James, one of the pioneers--coming to Young Co. with J. R. Jowell, Alex McLaren and others.  He is now county judge of this county, has a good stock of cattle and a section or so of land.  He was a good man in Young county and has not changed.  This town is largely under the control of German, Mr. Chas. Schreiner, who has recently built an enormous storehouse, has as fine a private residence as it to be found in West Texas, and in fact owns everything--cattle, sheep mills, freight trains, land in vast bodies, and his hand is felt everywhere.  The town of Kerrville seemed to be a little turbulent while I was there.  I heard one man tell another that he would give him 'till 2 o'clock to leave, if he was not gone then he would be perforated, that is, his hid would not look well tanned. I thought the party addressed was a renter, probably, but subsequently ascertained that he was the stepfather of the frateman.  I afterwards saw him oiling up a decisive looking shot-gun and supposed that he had concluded to remain. ...
The sheriff told me that there was considerable horse stealing going on and from other signs I thought I saw blood in the moon, hence I say it was somewhat turbulent.
The country throughout the county is splendid for stock....I found the best watered portion of the state.

San Antonio Light, October 11, 1883
W. B. Mullins, Kerr county, at the St. Leonard hotel.

The Graham Leader, October 13, 1883
Dolf's Rambling Reminiscences
From Fredericksburg to Kerrville is 25 miles, over a beautiful stretch of wood-land intersected by refreshing streams, such as Oak Creek, the Pertenalls [sic], Bear Creek, and Wolf Creek--all ever flowing water-courses. ... Arriving at Kerrville at noon I spend the time fishing during the day, and coon, fox and wild-cat hunting at night.  Having to remain here a week, I have had ample time for amusement and I have put all my energy into the occupation. On one occasion, being accompanied by an ex-Young county citizen, W. F. James, now county judge here, I averaged from ten to fifteen nice fish each day--being also accompanied by other guests of the hotel we have kept the table well supplied.  I find a class of people here much above the average in intelligence and culture.  This place, like Fredericksburg, is a great resort for invalids and many men of wealth finding benefit have located permanently in this beautiful river--the Guadalupe.  There are here an unusually large settlement of Englishmen, who seem well to do--pushing, progressive and prosperous.  I have found a stay here very agreeable and quit the hospitable place with regret.

Galveston Daily News, October 20, 1883
Colonel Collindar Fayssoux, of New Orleans, is in the city en route to a visit to his son-in-law in Kerr county. He is receiving the attentions due to the men who figured conspicuously in the cause of Texas.  He is the gallant young midshipman who fought with Commodore Moore, of the Texas navy, off the coast of Yucatan, with the Mexican navy in 1843 and who was afterward so conspicuous in the Lopez expedition ....Colonel Fayssoux is still strong and vigorous, and enjoys the decline of his years in the peace of a loved family.

San Antonio Light, October 20, 1883
This morning a surveying party number 14 were sent out by the Engineer of the Sunset railroad, to survey a line between Bandera and Kerrville, with a view to building a railroad.

San Antonio Light, October 23, 1883
J. Patterson, a prominent stockman of Kerrville, is at the Central.

San Antonio Light, November 14, 1883
The committee appointed for the purpose of soliciting subscriptions to the capital stock of the Gulf, San Antonio, Colorado City and Kansas City railroad, will call on our business men in a day or two in the interest of that enterprise.... [Description of the proposed route given here.]

San Antonio Light, November 22, 1883
The Southwestern Christian association met this morning ....
Among the delegates who were present were G. L. Serber, Kerrville.

San Antonio Light, December 19, 1883
At the St. Leonard Hotel, G. H. Hughes, Kerrville

Galveston Daily News, December 24, 1883
Kerrville is having quite a building boom.







 










No comments:

Post a Comment